Spring is here! We love this time of year, seeing the trees and flowers bloom, taking our pups out to play in the warmed-up lakes and streams. But with this Spring weather also comes tick season. Tick prevention is very important this time of year especially if your pups love running around outside as much as ours do. Here are a few different ways to protect your pups:
- Rose Geranium essential oil –the most prevalent essential oil for natural tick prevention. Use the oil with the name “Pelargonium capitatum x radens” example here. To protect your pup mix 3 tablespoons of almond oil with 20 drops of the rose geranium essential oil. Apply 3 drops to sections of your dog’s fur, make sure to put some on the collar area.
- Neem oil is also said to be an effective repellent against ticks and fleas. Get a bowl of water, mix 5 drops of neem oil with 5 drops of citronella. You can use this to spray your dog’s coat.
- Another Essential oil concoction that can be used as a tick repellent – fill a spray bottle with 2 liters of water, add 5 drops of peppermint oil, cinnamon, lavender, and almonds.
- Garlic is also said to help prevent ticks and fleas. This time of year, many people will add nutritional yeast and garlic as a topper on their dogs’ food.
- Another common tick prevention product is the Dog Flea Collar. This is not a natural remedy but a very popular option among dog owners. The Seresto Dog Flea Collar specifically, is great if you don’t want to do the monthly ointments and pills. It kills fleas, ticks, and lice already present on your dog’s coat and can deter new ticks for up to eight months! It is water resistant, but some reviews do say that water exposure can make it less effective than eight months. Also, some dogs and humans have experienced some skin irritation. But overall, this product is one of the most popular Dog Flea/Tick Collars.
These are just a few of the many tick prevention products and repellents we found. How do you protect your pups this time of year? Feel free to leave a comment below!